Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chimichangas

I got this recipe from the 30 Day Gourmet Freezer Cooking Manual and have made a few adjustments to improve the taste and make it easier to assemble. It calls for ground beef, but I find they are much tastier with Cafe Rio Chicken. The following quantities make 32 chimchangas.

5 cups cooked chicken (use the Cafe Rio Chicken recipe)
32 oz salsa
32 oz refried beans
2 4-oz cans diced green chilies
2 envelopes taco seasoning (I buy my taco seasoning in a large container from Sam's Club and just mix it in to taste)
32 8" flour tortillas
8 cups shredded cheese (we like pepperjack)

In a large bowl combine chicken, salsa, refried beans, and green chilies. Stir in taco seasoning. Assemble by placing about 1/2 cup meat mixture in the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold in the sides and then roll up.

Wrap in heavy foil to freeze. Wrap individually for one serving or bundle several together for a family dinner. We bundle 6 chimichangas for our family.

Reheat in the microwave or bake. I generally bake for about 30 minutes at 350. I then pour a can of enchilada sauce over top, sprinkle with more cheese, and bake an additional five minutes. This is one of my husband's favorites.

3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog. Your muffins were (and still are) yummy! I have a kazillion questions. Do you use disposable 8x8 pans? How long does it take you to thaw lasagna in your refrigerator? (I always forget to pull mine out of the freezer to thaw and end up cooking them from frozen). I can't wait to try your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chimichunga recipe looks delicious. I've been doing the freezer cooking thing lately since we have an extrea freezer now and I want to be prepared when the little one comes, so I have a kazillion questions too ;) First off, I know you have those 8x8 and 9x13 disposable pans that you can freeze and then stick in the oven cook. All I can find are either the foil pans or ziploc pans which are nice for freezing, but I can't put them in the oven. Where do you get your disposable pans? Also do you have any vegetarian recipes by any chance? I am trying to find some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! The other week I was on a kick (inspired by you) where I doubled the recipe every night and froze the other half. It was so nice to have! I'm going to try this trio of recipes you do.

    ReplyDelete