Thursday, August 27, 2009

Baby Food Green Beans

This post won't apply to 92% of you, but I thought I would put it up anyway because this is what I'll be freezing for a while.

It's about that time again around here--baby food time. David and Avery hit 5 months this weekend. I'm not too eager to start baby food, but sometime in the near future. Because baby food is so expensive, and we are doing x2 this time around, I am planning on making most of our baby food again. I made the majority of Claire's food, and it worked out well.

My mom gave us a bunch of green beans from her garden so I decided to start there. It brought back memories of snapping beans every summer while growing up. I also remembered how much I hate snapping beans. Of all the garden help I had to put in as a kid, beans were my least favorite. No wonder I don't have a garden.

So, I started out with my steamer full of green beans. (I didn't snap them. I lined a bunch up on the cutting board and sliced the ends off. I felt like I was doing something wrong).


After they are cooked, pull them out and let them cool. I then throw them in the food processor and chop them until they are nice and creamy. I usually add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup water. Looks yummy doesn't it?

I freeze the green beans in ice cube trays. When they are frozen, just pop them out and put them in a freezer Ziploc bag. I got three ice cube trays with my green beans.

Over the next few weeks, I'll start stocking up. I do sweet potatoes, spinach, peas, chicken and ham. I'm also looking forward to fruit season around here. I'm planning to do lots of applesauce and peaches. When I serve it to the babies, I'll just pull out a few cubes to thaw in the fridge--usually 3 veggie cubes and a chicken cube for a meal then mix it with baby cereal. It's a little more work, but I really feel like it's worth it. Besides have you seen how disgusting baby food chicken from the jar looks and smells? Yuck!

3 comments:

  1. I am a huge proponent of homemade baby food, but I never did meats with Adie. It grossed me out to process them. Then, I saw my friend do it with an immersion blender which didn't gross me out nearly so much. Do you just do meat with the food processor too? If so, does it gross you out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is exactly what I did with our plentiful supply of green beans in my garden! My son is 10 1/2 months. Good luck with solids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what we did. until the teeth came in. I am not a fan of the stores baby food. Both my boys had quite a few teeth early on so we were able to graduate to other table foods.

    ReplyDelete