Monday, August 10, 2009

BBQ Chicken

I always try to keep some frozen BBQ chicken on hand. It's so simple to make, but takes a while in the crock pot.

BBQ Chicken

6 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-2 lg bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce

Place chicken in crock pot. Pour 1/2 bottle over chicken. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Remove chicken from sauce. Discard sauce. Shred chicken. Pour new BBQ sauce and mix to taste. Freeze in quart bags.



I have two favorite recipes that call for BBQ chicken. The first is our BBQ Chicken Pizza that I previously shared. The second is BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. I made this tonight for dinner. Yummm!

BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

1 Sourdough loaf
2 cups BBQ chicken
4 oz cream cheese
Kraft Mexi cheese blend
butter for grilling

Slice your bread fairly thin.Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each slice.
Sprinkle one side of the bread with Mexi blend cheese.
Top the cheese side with BBQ chicken. Sprinkle more cheese on top of chicken.
Spread a thin layer of butter on the top of each slice and grill very slowly. The trick to this sandwich is patience. Because it's so thick you can't grill it on medium heat for 2 minutes. I grill it on medium low heat and even place it in the pan as the pan is preheating. It takes about 10-15 minutes, but it's so worth it.
A panini press would definitely work for this as well. I wish I had one.
This is one of my favorite sandwiches. I love the combination of flavors. It's not something you would expect to go together, but it's really quite enjoyable. Our dog was very jealous of my dinner tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This has been one of our favorite recipes of yours over the years. It is incredibly good :)

    ReplyDelete