Sunday, September 6, 2009

Peaches

Good fresh peaches are a wonderful thing. My sister picked up a couple boxes for me this weekend. I did a bunch just sliced and in Ziplocs. I also made a lot of baby food and made a pot of peach topping/pie filling. I think my kitchen is still sticky from the mess though.

I put my peaches in very hot water (almost boiling) for 1-2 minutes. The skins come of perfectly after they have cooled a bit. Here is my bowl of peaches ready to be skinned.
I also have a bowl for the skinned peaches and all the stuff to throw away.
To make baby food I put about 5 peaches in the food processor and run it until the peaches are smooth and soupy. You can add a couple teaspoons of lemon juice to keep it from browning if you are freezing it immediately.

Just like the green beans, I use my ice cube trays to freeze small servings.
I bought these from IKEA the other day. I have honestly wanted them since my first visit to IKEA 2 1/2 years ago.
I know it's not really going to make any difference what shape the peach cubes are in.
But they really turn out cute. I also used a silicon muffin pan to freeze some baby food because I ran out of ice cube trays.
Here is everything I did from the first box of peaches. These fruit boxes are a nice easy way to store and separate things in the freezer.
With the second box of peaches, I did some more sliced and frozen in bags. I made another batch of baby food and I made peach topping. This of course was the yummiest part. I filled a pot with about 15 peaches and 1 cup of water. I brought them to a boil and then lowered heat and simmered for about 20 minutes.
After they cooked for a while, I stirred in 1 cup of sugar and about 1/2 cup corn starch. I let it cook until it was nice and thick. I kept adding sugar until it tasted right. I added about 2 1/2 cups total.
I also added about 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. This is great on waffles, ice cream, etc. After it cooled I froze it in Ziplocs.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love peaches!! I also make baby food for my son in ice cube trays. What a great way to save money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my house I think those peaches would end up in my fruit smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made some baby food peaches today. Thanks for the inspiration and guidance. It was so easy!

    ReplyDelete