Monday, May 18, 2009

Bran Muffins

A breakfast staple for me is bran muffins. They freeze well and are ready to eat after just a minute in the microwave. I make a double batch, and they last for a couple months. This is the standard 6-week bran muffin recipe, but I have made several adjustments over the years to make them more to my liking. The regular recipe calls for buttermilk, but I started using skim milk or mixed dry milk several years ago. I actually like the taste better and it has fewer calories.

Bran Muffins
5 tsp baking soda
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 TB salt
1 qt milk (I just use reconstituted dry milk)
5 cups flour
2 cups bran flakes
4 cups all bran cereal
2 TB cinnamon
1/2 TB nutmeg

Dissolve soda in boiling water. Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Combine salt, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add flour mixture and milk alternately into shortening mixture until well blended. Blend in water and soda mixture. Stir in cereals. Let batter sit in fridge overnight to soften cereals. Bake at 375 for 15-17 minutes. Freeze in gallon ziploc bags. Makes 4-5 dozen muffins.Claire the muffin thief:

No comments:

Post a Comment